Thursday, December 3, 2009

Around Coronation Beach and Geraldton things are a bit blury and I can't seem to remember anything extraordinary, perhaps if I was a windsurfer I would have much to say?

Cervantes and the pinnacles were spectacular including some more stromatolites. The pinnacles at Cervantes are a bit of a mystery in their formation and there is no agreement between geologists.

We slept a night in Avon Valley National Park before heading into Perth and it was refreshing to be back in what I could call a forest !

Perth was a bit scary so BIG and BUSY (not to Perth folk however). we zipped around trying to find accommodation and settled in South Fremantle. First up we spent a day at Rottnest Island. This was spectacular. Amazingly enough a friend from uni days I have been wanting to catch up with was on the ferry on the way over. Roland was lucky enough to get a job working with Rottnest terrestrial and marine ecology. It was great to catch up wished we had more time. We hired bikes - one with a trailer for Jamala and Kaiden, and rode around the island. Every corner seemed to lead to a spectacular bay with fringing reefs and limestone shelters. Such a paradise on the doorstep of a city !

Oh yeh, another highlight was seeing a Quokka. At first we though that we may need to be lucky and be there at dusk or dawn to catch such an elusive creature. Kaiden and I first spotted one behind the bike hire shed. Sometime on our way into the settlement I mentioned this to Nicole. She seemed dismayed that I had not alerted her immediately concerned shed had missed seeing them altogether. Then we turn our heads towards the shops and some people we feeding a Quokka in the mall some Red Roaster (fast food stuff). So they are not that elusive at all !! .... sitting down at the bakery they we nibbling crumbs around people's feet. Quokka's have established themselves within the seagull niche.

Back on the mainland was a tight busy schedule. First up Nicole's parents came over to catch up and say happy birthday to Jamala. I in the middle of this I left to caught up with a teacher/psychologist who is passionate about democratic education and unschooling, and was great to share in her knowledge of how things work in government systems and the recent politics surrounding, as well as many things we both value about these two forms of learning - or learning ecology so to speak. I felt inspired and refreshed, and can't wait to get back to the families near coffs harbour. Before we knew it most of the day had past, and we had a short meander through Fremantle, which was full of Cafes, music and the arts. It reminded us much of the Newtown or Glebe in Sydney.

The next day I was very excited to meet with a group of homeschoolers, two people who I have been in touch with since before Jamala's birth !! - where did that time go? I found it so pleasant and easy to sit with this group of families, and relished in the warming welcome. So thanks for the morning Chiara and Joss. I really wish we could have spent a lot more time, it really felt like 'home' to me.

Next we were off to the other side of the city to visit Nicole's cousins, Aunty and Uncle. We seemed to zip through a blur of catching up here, and suddenly we were on our way to visit my cousin and Aunty. Sandy my cousin I had not seen for some 25-30 years !!! It was funny catching up with them it seems my family all seem to be choosing lifestyle/family before careers ! Hmmm maybe it is simply in my blood to indulge in life over work?

So now I am exhausted and about to pack up to head south..... YAY !!! I have been looking forward to this for a long time....

No comments: