Sunday, December 13, 2009

Margret River

Jamala's first birthday was spent on the road and a roadside campsite and I am begining to wonder if my 40th will be much like this too ?!

First thing in the morning we were off to explore the Margret River coastal region before settling into Contos campground just to the SW of Margret River township. The coastline here is magical, so many bays and beaches, reefs and rocky outcrops, with stunningly crystal clear water. Time flew by us here - not too sure what we did in the 10 days? I did manage to surf, sip some wine and finish reading some books.

Margret River region reminded me of Bellingen on the mid-north coast of NSW - only different in that it seemed busier and was surrounded by wineries and nearby exceptional surf breaks. On the surface it seemed that we could easily slip into the community here and settle in, I have not a clue what I would do for work in a place like this.

ahhh some things are coming back to me.... I am sure my brain looses some functioning every time I slip into my camp chair ! .... There were two massive highlights for Kaiden - first a visit to the Margret River Chocolate factory, where Kaiden and the rest of us watched chocolates being made anc we all indulged in tastings too !! It was superb chocolate - absolutely delicous ... perhaps it was a good thing that the price matched the flavour or else our trailer would be full !! YUM. Second was a visit to Leewin Lighthouse, the tallest mainland lighthouse in Australia. Kaiden and Nicole climbed the lighthouse to take in the views accross both the Southern and Indian Oceans. under 4 years were not permited to climb no matter that Jamala is adept with climbing. Jamala and I sat in the cafe eating chocolate muffin. Kaiden has loved lighthouses ever since he started noticing them, so he was delighted to find one he could climb up !

The intersting thing having the southern and Indian Oceans converging, strange weather events occur. Leaving the lighthouse we noticed a huge cloud like formation on the horizon, was it rain, was it smoke, we were not sure. Then it came in, fog at 1pm on a summers day !!!.... I had the warm sun on my back and a cool southerly wind blowing fog in my face. It was as if someone just switched an jinourmous airconditioner on.

to side track: An event I am mindful of that I unfortunately will miss is Drew Dellinger's tour of Australia while here in WA.

Video - http://drewdellinger.org/pages/video/187/hieroglyphic-stairway

HIEROGLYPHIC STAIRWAY by Drew Dellinger

It's 3:23 in the morning
and I'm awake
because my great great grandchildren
won't let me sleep
my great great grandchildren
ask me in dreams
what did you do while the planet was plundered?
what did you do when the earth was unraveling

surely you did something
when the season started failing?

as the mammals, reptiles, birds were all dying?

did you fill the streets with protest
when democracy was stolen?

what did you do
once
you
knew?...

From many of his gems influenced by elder's like Thomas Berry. I wonder what it is that happened for some people to cast their eyes to the ground and say it is not their concern, it is beyond their life span when things will get real tough, it is not their concern.

None-the-less Nicole and I have been inspired by some older generations on the road, Nicole nicknamed them the "Silver Nomads" - they pride themselves on their sustainablity achievements, efficent transport, going solar, converting cars to run on hydrogen (one guy did it to his diesel - I must look into this !!!), etc. Perhaps there will be more elders like Thomas Berry's and Joanna Macy's to come? look forward to meeting more on the road !

Off to the great southern coast to dip into inspiring wildscapes of tall forests and windy seas.

No comments: